RE: [CH] Which Grow Best In Pots?

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 15:40:08 -0500

Risa -

I have always had very good luck with about any chile grown in a pot.  I
have had particularly good luck with Tabascos and Caribbean reds.  From your
list, yellow mushroom, Thai (never tried orange), and serrano (again - never
tried orange) have done well for me.

In general, I think that all chile plants can thrive in pots provided the
pots are large enough - I think 5-gallon buckets work best, and they are
quite cheap.  Unfortunately, the aesthetics of white and orange buckets are
difficult to sell to my wife.  I have also had very good luck in 2.5- to
3-gallon clay pots.  Lastly, I think chiles in pots require sick amounts of
fertilizer - more than you would think.

Good luck.

Matt

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
T. Matthew Evans
Research Assistant
Geosystems Group, School of CEE
Georgia Institute of Technology

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com
[mailto:owner-chile-heads@globalgarden.com]On Behalf Of RisaG
Sent: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 3:01 PM
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Subject: [CH] Which Grow Best In Pots?

Since I am growing 20 types of heirloom tomatoes this
year, I don't have as much room for chiles. I am
growing 12 kinds of chiles, which at least 9 will be
in the ground. Of the following, which would do best
in the pots?

Lemon Drop
Orange Thai
Orange Serrano
Guam Boonie
Fish pepper
Yellow Mushroom
Stripe Peppers
Orange Devil Habanero
Piquillo
Ring of Fire*
Spanish Spice
Little Nubian

* I have grown Ring of Fire in pots and it grows well
and very prolific. Not very tall but lots of chiles.

So, what do you think? Which ones would do better in
pots? I have a feeling hab wouldn't do well. They need
a lot of growing space.

=====
RisaG

Risa's Food Service