Re: [CH] Which Grow Best In Pots?

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 06:47:47 -0500

Hi Risa!
   Sorry for the delay in response. Never too busy to help a PepperBud
though...
  Although my experience with growing in pots is limited to the last three
years, I find my yields in pots is as large as in the ground. Where do you
think those fresh peppers from me in Dec. come from? Five gal. pails in the
cellar, of course!
      IMHO the secret is in the soil. I've tried using soil from the garden
with amendments, with limited success. I've been using Miracle-Gro Potting
Mix for the last two seasons & have been very pleased with the results.

http://www.miraclegro.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=productGuide.productDetails&p
artnerId=100003&poeSiteId=10928&strCategoryId=23830&strProductId=101725&dsvs
=FF56340E-9EEB-4138-B12D-FD44602D0E19,x,x

I believe the looseness of potting soils allows more root growth than plain
soil, thereby allowing plant to reach it's maxim fruitset. I usually put two
average size plants in one five gal. pail & have always had great results.
At bottom of E-Mail is my procedure for converting five gal. pails into El
Grande growing pots.

Yours in heat,
Paul
Usual disclaimers, I do not have any association with Miracle-Gro

Paul's Perfectly Potted Pepper Plants
Gather the following:
5 gal. pails
Pea gravel
Landscape fabric
Miracle-Gro Potting Soil
¼" drill
3' bamboo stakes

Drill 20 or so holes in bottom of pail
Put an inch of pea gravel in pail
Line pail with landscape fabric
Fill to an inch of top with soil
Stick stake in center of pail & tie handle to it
Put 1 to 3 seedlings in soil
Add sunshine & water
Pick fruit when ripe
Overwinter plants in sunny spot