Re: which grow best in the woods? (was Re: [CH] Which Grow Best In Pots?)

Chad A Gard (gard@indy.net)
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 12:11:13 -0500

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 11:36  AM, Mike Benson wrote:

> Is there any sun on your roof?
>
> This link is about a guy that grew pumpkins on his rooftop:
> http://www.rdrop.com/users/krishna/willweek.htm
>
> When I lived in Milwaukee, with my very small yard, I considered doing
> something like this to increase gardening space.

I've often thought it would be fun to do something like that.  Ideally,
I'd like to buy an old commercial or warehouse building somewhere,
convert the roof to garden (probably hydroponic), top floor to loft for
myself, rent out the bottom floor to commercial concerns (perhaps a
good restaurant ;) )etc. etc.  That way I'd have lots of living space,
efficient use of an old building with character, tenants' rent to pay
the mortgage with, and no lawn (I hate mowing).

Alas, my current roof is both a very steep pitch and very well shaded.
It's also 2 stories high, and I don't have a tall enough ladder to
reach it.  And, the landlord probably wouldn't appreciate a field o'
peppers up there.  It would provide a lot of useable space, though, and
I do like the idea of building a greenhouse up there...

Chad A Gard
INCHASE: <http://www.inchase.org>
PercussionAdvocates: <http://www.percussionadvocates.com>