Re: which grow best in the woods? (was Re: [CH] Which Grow Best In Pots?)

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:27:37 -0600

>  I might buy a Rocoto
seedling from Susan, perhaps.

If you do, I would ask her if she had any luck getting first year pods from her plants.  That can be a problem with Rocotos.  I only grew five plants last year and of those only one produced pods during the summer and I harvested about 40 by the end of December from that one plant.  That plant produced a lot of blossoms during the dog days of summer but they didn't set fruit.  Early & late summer it did pretty good.   The other plants gave up about 4 pods each by years end.  I gave a few plants to a couple of chilebuds and they only got a few pods too.

They will overwinter extremely well in a south window with no supplemental lighting.  None of my five plants blossomed though.  Super Chili & Thai Hot will blossom, set fruit & give ripe pods in abundance in the same south window all winter long here in Kansas City.

Rocotos are worth the wait.  Thick fleshed and great taste.  My fav hot pepper.  (so far)  Most of mine were eaten raw.  The ones (Yellow R.) that I hickory smoked and made flakes & powder out of are to die for.   The heat perception of rocoto varies from person to person as their capsaicin is (so I have read) slightly different than other species.  (I'm Norse & Polish mostly)  My early Yellow Rocotos were hotter than my Red Savinas.  The Orange Rocotos that I harvested in January had no heat whatsoever.

I've only grown C. pubescens for one year now and won't even pretend to know a whole lot about them.  This year I'm growing about 27 varieties of these hairy babes and hope to learn a lot more.  (thanks to PaulK for 21 of them)

JohnT