Re: [CH] Savina seeds at Wally Wurld...

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:17:32 -0600

"T. Matthew Evans" wrote:

> ...  but I am doing an experiment this year --
> Red Savinas from four different sources, three plants of each.

  That's a good experiment.  Then all of us moderates will know where to purchase our Savina
seeds to get the poorest possible production, since we don't need very many.  ;-)))

> I got 100% germination from these seeds, and the three seedlings that remain (I cut the
> others back) are
> healthy and strong (similar to all other Red Savinas that I have started).

  I still don't have the heart to do that.  I just plant them as far apart from each other
as possible (easier since my trays don't have individual cells), and then try to carefully
remove and transplant the weaker seedlings.  Of course it doesn't always work, but your odds
of getting something usable are a WHOLE lot better than snipping.  And, more importantly, my
conscience stays clear.  ;-)

 Does that make me some kind of a chile-hugger-hippie or something?

--
Erich
C-H # 2099 & First Lieutenant of the Moderate Corps