[CH] Why different formats?

Margaret Lauterbach (melauter@earthlink.net)
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:51:56 -0700

Does anyone know why the mini-brains decided to use different formats for
videotaping and DVDs between Europe and the U.S.?  They probably designated
a third format for Asia.  Then the Canadian sickos decided they'd scramble
CBC programs so that U.S. citizens couldn't watch programs such as the
Royal Air Farce and This Hour Has 22 Minutes.  As the world shrinks, why
this provinciality? Can't even buy a DVD player with European format from
amazon.co.uk for shipment to U.S. Margaret L

At 06:15 AM 3/23/2003 -0800, RisaG wrote:
 >Congratulations Dewi! Sounds like it was a great show.
 >Hope to see it one day!
 >
 >Someone make a DVD or a VHS out of it quickly once
 >Dewi sends one to the US!!!

I don't know if it's the same with DVD, but VHS tapes made in Europe must
be converted from the PAL format to NTSC to be viewed in the US.  I had to
do the reverse when I sent Dewi a VHS copy of "Eat the Heat."

=Mark

"He can compress the most words into
          the smallest idea of any man I know." -Abraham Lincoln