Re: [CH] Why different formats?

Dave Drum (xrated@ameritech.net)
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:35:50 -0600

At 11:02 AM 3/26/2003 -0800, Brent Thompson wrote:

>In contrast, the VHS issue is purely technological, I believe.  I have been
>told that NTSC is inferior to PAL -- significantly lower video quality.  I
>suppose NTSC was the first type of VHS available, when VHS use was ramping
>up in USA, when it was dueling with Betamax, so it got the large installed
>base, so it continues to predominate in USA.  Maybe VHS usage in Europe
>began growing somewhat later, and by then PAL had been developed, and it
>would be reasonable for the superior solution to be more popular, so it
>predominated there.  Presumably ditto for the 2-3 other formats in use in
>different regions around the world, not that I know the intro dates of any
>of these formats nor merits, either, aside from NTSC/PAL comparison
>mentioned above.

NTSC (Never Twice Same Colour) is set for 60 cycle electricity. PAL (Phased
Array Logic) is made to work on the 50hz mains feeds found in Yurp and Oz
and most of the Pacific Rim.

ENJOY!!!

Uncle Dirty Dave's Kitchen
Home of Hardin Cider & Yaaaaa Hoooo Ahhhhh Hot Sauce!!!

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.  That is
easy.  All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and
denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger.  It works the same in any country.

-Hermann Goering-