Re: [CH] ATTENTION : EXOTIC PEPPERS

Craig Dremann (craig@ecoseeds.com)
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 08:54:22 -0800

For the last 30 years, I get this seed directly from the grower in
Japan, and Dr. Bosland originally got his seed from me, but
unfortunately he mis-spelled the name in his book.

It's common to get errors when trying to get the English spelling for
Chinese, Japanese and Arabic words correct, because with Chinese,
Japanese and Arabic characters, there's not an exact translation that
can be made into English.

For example, the Capital of China, which was known as "Peking" for 100
years+, the English spelling was corrected to be closer to the actual
Chinese sound of the name in the 1970s, and today can be spelled in
English as either "Beijing" or "Bejing"

The Japanese grower spells his pepper as "Yatsufusa."  Unfortunately
this spring, this variety became commercially extinct in Japan.  If you
liked this variety and want to grow it in the future, start saving your
seeds, until a seed company starts picking it up and reproduces the seed
commercially again.  Otherwise, Yatsufusa will go the way that the other
Japanese hot peppers did in the 1980s, like Hontaka and Santaka, into
commercial seed extinction.

--Craig Dremann