USDA Seed Availability...Was Re: [CH] Chapeau de frade Pepper

The NorthEast ChileMan (thenortheastchileman@attbi.com)
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 20:51:02 -0400

> Please keep in mind that this program is for scientists and
> researchers, not for the average gardener.

I have to disagree Mike. Our tax dollars support this government run seed
bank. You & I pay for the scientists, researchers & botanists to fly around
the world & collect the seeds. You & I pay for growing & collecting these
seeds all over the world so they can have quantities of these seeds to
distribute. You & I pay for the refrigerated, low moisture rooms these seeds
are stored in. And lastly, You & I pay the people who take the requests &
count out those 5 seeds into an envelope & ship them to us. Sorry, I already
paid for those seeds. & here's one of the "Research Stations" we pay for:
http://www.ars-grin.gov/ars/SoAtlantic/Mayaguez/mayaguez.html
Wish I could get a job counting seeds there!

& to rebut your quote, every order I've placed contains a packing list which
states:

"This germplasm is being freely distributed by the U.S. National Plant
Germplasm System (NPGS) for educational, agricultural research or breeding
purposes."

I breed hot peppers for the purpose of consumption & sharing seeds with
others. People who do not believe me when I tell that pepper I got from the
USDA/GRIN database is hot, get an education. My agricultural research is
limited to helping others with their growing of El Grande. I think I qualify
for a few seeds, even if I don't have a Ph.D. at the end of my name.

Yours in heat,
Paul
Oh, and Mike, what do you think all those scientists & researchers do with
all the plants you & I paid them to go at this URL:

http://www.firstgov.gov/fgsearch/index.jsp?mw0=Cannabis+sativa&rn=96&in0=dom
ain&dom0=usda.gov+fs.fed.us+ag.gov%0D%0Aezec.gov+foodsafetyjobs.gov+jifsr.go
v+nutrition.gov+nalusda.gov+reeusda.gov&parsed=true&Submit=Go