RE: [CH] Sort of OT- Red Achiote

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 09:22:10 -0400

Hi, Linda --

What you received are actually annatto seeds, which are used to make
achiote.  Achiote is a seasoning paste commonly used in the Yucatan and
other parts of Mexico.  A traditional Yucatean barbecue would involve
slathering some meat with achiote paste, wrapping it in banana leaves, and
burying it in some coals.  The meat would be served with xni-pec, fresh corn
tortillas, and black beans.

The paste typically includes (among other things) ground annatto seeds, bay
leaves, garlic, and sour orange juice, but I don't have a recipe handy.  I'm
sure you could Google one or check a Diana Kennedy or Rick Bayless cookbook.

Another nice use for annatto seeds is to make colored oils.  I make several
different types of chile oil and sometimes I will add some annatto seed when
making an oil.  This gives the oil a nice bright, natural red color and
makes for a pretty presentation, especially when paired with cilantro oil or
basil oil.

Have fun.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant, School of CEE
Georgia Institute of Technology