Re: [CH] Superscript usage in "Peppers: Vegetable and Spice Capsicums"

Craig Dremann (craig@ecoseeds.com)
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 07:58:56 -0700

Greg Mortensen wrote:
 "A solution of 2 g l-1 of potassium nitrate was
> successful in eliminating dormancy of C. annuum seeds."  I'm a bit unclear > what the superscript "-1" is.  I read that line as "2 grams per liter"; is
> that right?

Yes.  That means about 1/2 to one teaspoon per quart of distilled water
(don't use tap water).  It works on starting any pepper seeds, and gets
them to sprout about twice as fast.  It is a germinating procedure from
the Federal Seed Act for breaking dormancy in pepper seeds.

Also, alternating the soil temp. from 80-85 deg. f. and then nights at
60-70 degrees F. helps also---it's good to get an accurate soil
thermometer to do that.  I just got a call last week where a pepper
grower was using a chicken egg incubator to keep the daytime soil temps
in the 80 deg. range very nicely---bought it from his local feed store
for about $40 and is 2 ft. x 2 ft.

Sincerely, Craig Dremann