RE: [CH] Diazinon

T. Matthew Evans (matt.evans@ce.gatech.edu)
Tue, 27 May 2003 17:17:45 -0400

Chemicals in the soil (specifically, the soil pore-fluid) are absorbed by
plants (specifically, their roots).  These chemicals (say, Diazinon) are
then redistributed throughout the plant  -- because the total suction in the
leaves is greater than that in the roots and fluid moves to the deepest
potential energy well.

At this point, the chemical may (?) move into the fruits -- I see no reason
as to why this would not occur, but I am not 100% certain.  Now I harvest
the chiles, make a delicious salsa, and eat them, Diazinon and all.

While small amounts of Diazinon ingested (very infrequently) in this manner
may not be harmful to normal, healthy adults, I am not interested in eating
stuff capable of killing small animals.  Additionally, I can't image that my
breast-fed daughter would enjoy it very much.  Basically, I just don't want
to take a chance.

Matt

T. Matthew Evans
Graduate Research Assistant, School of CEE
Georgia Institute of Technology