RE: [CH] Diazinon

Riley J. McIntire (Riley@ChileGarden.com)
Tue, 27 May 2003 16:27:33 -0700

Matt,

This site is a good reference.

http://ace.orst.edu/info/extoxnet/ghindex.html

Found this:

******
Breakdown in vegetation: In plants, a low temperature and a high oil content
tend to increase the persistence of diazinon [58]. Generally the half-life
is rapid in leafy vegetables, forage crops and grass. The range is from 2 to
14 days. In treated rice plants only 10% of the residue was present after 9
days [58]. Diazinon is absorbed by plant roots when applied to the soil and
translocated to other parts of the plant [13].
******

Think I've read that diazinon's been delisted for home use.  At least in
Calif.  With a new baby around your caution is most likely warranted.

You didn't say if you used any pesticides at all, at least voluntarily.
There are much better, newer and safer pesticides available.  3rd generation
synthetic pyrethrin analogs, for instance.

Hot regards,

Riley