Re: [CH] wasabi

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Thu, 29 May 2003 07:24:28 -0700

Robert Farr wrote:
> Does anyone have an idea where I can find some Japanese wasabi plants?
>
> I'm in Virginia.
>
> Thanks!

Well, last year I bought a couple of Japanese wasabi roots from a gal
here in BC, who have gotten into the business of growing and selling the
roots. I followed her instructions, faithfully, and both roots rotted, a
fact which I discovered this spring. Her original plants she and her
husband brought from Japan, and she is having some success growing it
where they are located, but it does require growing conditions similar
to what it is acustomed to in Japan, well irrigated gravel, preferrably
moving water. There are places in Oregon and Ohio where it is grown and
sold...do a search, and all sorts of them will turn up. Hope you all
have beter luck than I did...cheers, Doug in BC