Re: [CH] Too many Habs?

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 11:49:40 -0700 (PDT)

Todd --

My favorite way to preserve large quantities of chiles
is to pack them in vinegar and processes them briefly
in a hot water bath.  Here's your method --

Chop all of your chiles into small pieces using a food
processor.  Pack the minced chiles into hot,
sterilized pint jars and add 2 teaspoons of kosher
salt to each jar.  Pour in enough boiling white
vinegar to cover the chiles and top each jar with a
hot ring and lid.  Submerge the jars in a pot of hot
boiling water and boil for 10 minutes.  I know it
doesn't sound like much, but the whole is much greater
than the sum of the parts.  After storing for a week
or two, they're ready to eat.  Or, you can drain the
vinegar off and run the chiles through a food mill to
separate the skins and seeds -- then you have a nice
mash of chile pulp.

As for drying without a food dehydrator, I've never
tried it, but several others on the list have.  I use
a Nesco dehydrator that I bought at Walmart for about
$35 -- I think it was a good investment.

If you need to get rid of some of those chiles, send
them to Atlanta -- I have 150 plants in the ground,
but they are being badly ravaged by rain -- the
wettest May in history...

Matt

--- TG <skoot@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> A friend is sharing his unexpected volume of Habs.
> Nice big, hot, red
> babies. Plants seem to be going nuts this year. (No
> spring hardening in
> South Florida - we're picking already).
>
> Any suggestions on using or storing these in bulk?
> I'm thinking of the usual
> oil, vinegar, pesto, raw on everything answers, but
> I'd like to 'preserve'
> or freeze some for later. Any recipes, tips or
> suggestions? Tips for drying
> without a dryer?
>
> I saw a special once on Food Network about flash
> freezing strawberries using
> dry ice. They freeze so fast the cell walls don't
> burst, so they aren't
> mushy when they thaw. Anyone tried this? Time for a
> science experiment?
>
> Thanks,
> Todd
>
> And ps: This is my first post after returning to the
> list (was a regular
> years ago). Seems more like a chat room than a
> pepper list nowadays (s'not,
> YKYAMI, etc.) Not unsubscribing, but I've seen lots
> of lists degenerate into
> 'inside' one-liners from the same people and one
> jerk (every list seems to
> have one). Hope CH doesn't suffer that fate.

=====
.
.
.