RE: [CH] Smoker

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Mon, 9 Jun 2003 13:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Gordon --

The pork butt actually comes from the front shoulder
of the pig.  I have no idea why it is called the butt.
 Fresh ham and pork shoulder come from the hind
quarter of the pig.

Many (most?) people who do not have the facilities to
smoke a whole pig (always the preferred option) will
smoke pork butts to make barbeque.  The butt is
extremely flavorful, has a high fat content, a uniform
cut, and a nice chunk of bone, making it an ideal
piece of meat for slow and low cooking.

On topic -- I have Early Manchurian Yellow chiles in
the garden that are nearly the size of Anaheims
already....wish everything else was doing as well.
Rain has been relentless.

Matt

=====
.