RE: [CH] Smoker

Scott J. Walter (sjwalter@epicmedia.com)
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 08:10:26 -0500

At 01:17 PM 6/9/2003 -0700, T. Matthew Evans wrote:

>The pork butt actually comes from the front shoulder
>of the pig.  I have no idea why it is called the butt.
>  Fresh ham and pork shoulder come from the hind
>quarter of the pig.

One historical tract says that "butt" has nothing to do with any physical
location on the pig.  Rather, it indicates the method the meat was
stored.  Up and into Revolutionary War times, some pork cuts (like the
shoulder) were packed into casks or barrels (also known as "butts")  for
storage and shipment.

The way a hog was cut and 'casked' in Boston became known (everywhere but
Boston) as "Boston Butt".

-Scott