Re: [CH] Kneecapped

Walter Spencer (g0tuj@g0tuj.karoo.co.uk)
Sat, 21 Jun 2003 06:55:43 +0100

Hi you lovely CH's. Yikes! With all the input to my question about Hab based
pain killers, I am kind of swamped. Sure thing I shall have a go and see
what comes up. Sadly Capsaicin Cream is not available here in the UK, only
on a Doctors prescription and they don't seem to want to hand any of them
things out these days.
But Habs are plentiful and thats a blessing. Thanks again to every one who
wrote in, even that 'Lurker' KnoxBill Jernigan. Y'all are the 'Hottest
Family' anyone could ever want. Walt. CH#2218. An old Chile-Head from the
old country.

From: "KnoxBill Jernigan" <billjernigan@iqonline.net>
> hi, walter...i'm a mostly lurker, but read every post...  just don't speak
up very often... attached is a recipe for a homemade cap cream that
works...you can cut down the quantities if you don't have that many habs,
and i'm
 sure you could substitute any chiles you have...good luck, and yes, it does
work!...just don't rub your eyes...  (grin)

> Homemade Capsaicin Cream  Yield about 32 ounces
>
> 1 pound fully ripe Habanero peppers or any Capsicum Chinense. 1 quart
glycerine or mineral oil (inert oil)
> 3 ounces paraffin or beeswax, broken  Steam the peppers with 2 to 3
tablespoons of water in a tightly closed plastic bag in a microwave for 3 to
4 minutes until the stems pull off easily, or use a conventional method.
Drain thoroughly, remove the stems, and chop with the seeds. Put the oil in
a heavy, deep pan, and add the
 chopped peppers. Bring to a boil; then reduce heat, cover, and simmer over
low heat for 4 hours; repeat this procedure two more times (12 hours
cooking). Strain through a metal strainer, pressing the pulp with a wooden
spoon. Discard pulp residue from strainer. Puree the oil and strained pulp
in a blender. Strain once more through a fine metal strainer lined with one
ply of facial  tissue, or through muslin or nylon hose. Return to a clean
pan. Add the paraffin and melt carefully over low heat, stirring until
completely blended. Cool slightly and pour into small, wide-mouth, lidded
containers such as plastic pill bottles. Because of the long cooking time,
it is good to make this amount.

> NOTE: This pepper pulp in this mixture will become very dark, but the
mixture will lighten after straining. You may also experience coughing and
sneezing during cooking. This ointment is quite greasy."