Re: [CH] alapyridaine taste booster

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 14:19:12 -0400

I'm often bemused by folks who eschew the use of chemicals in their
foods.  What exactly are chemicals anyway?  Chemical names are simply a way
to classify matter.  MSG is a chemical.  sodium chloride is a chemical
(salt), ascetic acid is a chemical (vinegar), sugar is a chemical, water is
a chemical.  Want to know something?  Capsaicin is a chemical!

"I don't want any water, salt, vinegar, sugar or capsaicin in MY hotsauce!"

Oh, but capsaicin is "natural."

Press release:  MSG and Alapyridaine are both "natural," one is isolated
from seaweed and the other is derived from beef stock.  By the way, sh!t
and poison ivy are also natural.

"Do you have any MSG to sprinkle on my sh!t and poison ivy salad?"

Moral:  All matter is made up of chemicals.  Not all chemicals are good,
nor are all of them bad.  Just because some chemicals come from nature
(whatever that means) does not make them inherently good or bad.  Since
humans are ultimately a product of natural processes, any by-product of
their evolution and technology is by default "natural."  Any argument for
or against a particular product or agent utilizing simplistic or subjective
measures such as chemical Vs natural is doomed under scrutiny.

I won't even start into why, if we are in fact being assaulted by more and
more "unnatural" harmful chemicals, does the human life span keep getting
longer?

=Mark