Re: [CH] missing chile help

Pete (pekiwa@caveland.net)
Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:30:18 -0500

Matt,

We are in South Central Kentucky, zone 6a.  I know we'd have something you'd
like.  We collected seeds for several hundred varieties of hots a year or so
ago, then moved to a place with 2 1/4 acres.  Result?  We grow as many
different kinds as possible in the space that we have, see how they do and
which ones we like.  Those are the ones we regrow.  Our priorities are ones
that are heavy-bearing market types and the ornamentals.

I kept about 35 plants over winter in the house that had been growing in the
garden (only lost 5), where they are once again.

I guess due to having them upstairs all winter, some started sprawling,
low-hanging enough to drag on the ground if I'd planted them in the garden.
So I have planted those particular ones in hanging pots on the porch- they
are starting to hang nicely and look awesome!  They are "yellow capsicum
annuam", Kuching, Purple Tiger, Padi Hijau Gemuk (Phillipino?), and two
others I lost the tags for.

We have over 100 varieties in the garden, with about 10 of them for
preservation due to rarity and our lack of seeds.  We still have seeds for
another hundred or so varieties besides.

We take very meticulous notes so that we know which are the best suited to
our climate and conditions.  Those will probably be the main determining
factors in what grows best for you as well depending on which part of the
world the seed came from.

Pete