Re: [CH] Tomatillo recipe?

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:50:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Diane --

I have a salsa method that I like to use with tomatillos, but not a real
recipe, per se.  Here goes:

1.  Warm a dry cast iron pan over moderate heat.

2.  Place six or eight husked tomatillos, three or four cloves of unpeeled
garlic, and three or four chiles onto the dry skillet.

3.  Roast tomatillos, garlic, and chiles until soft and blackened.

4.  Place peeled garlic, chiles, and kosher salt into molcajete and pound into
a mush.

5.  Incorporate tomatillos into the mush a couple at a time, leaving the
mixture a little chunky.

6.  Stir in some chopped white onion and cilantro, then add water to achieve
desired consistency, if necessary.

7.  Adjust seasoning with salt and sugar (if necessary).

My favorite modification to this would be to use some rehydrated dried chiles
(pasilla, chipotle, pasilla de Oaxaca, cascabel....) in place of the fresh
chiles.  To make the salsa more "Southwestern" and less "Mexican", you could
add a little toasted ground cumin seed.  Also, you can play around with the
herbs -- dried or fresh Mexican oregano or fresh marjoram would be good.

Once you've made the base "recipe" a couple of times, you'll find that you can
use it on anything and make all sorts of modifications -- pasta topping,
grilled veggies, eggs, steaks, marinades, baked fish....

Good luck.

Matt

--- Diane Salts <diannesalts@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi CHers
> I am growing Tomatillos for the first time this year and with four plants
> doing great I am going to need a salsa recipe for them. Any one have some?
> Thanks
> Diane

=====
.