Re: [CH] Sweet peppers -- ripe? And shipping question...

tucker (tucker@ticon.net)
Mon, 28 Jul 2003 21:56:46 -0500

The Geissmans wrote:

> Along with the real chiles, I have some sweet peppers that are great
> when grilled on the barbeque.  Some are green and then turn red, so
> it's easy to tell when they are ripe.  But sweet banana and Gypsy
> both start out pale green and then go to yellow (which still looks
> rather like the pale green) when they are mostly ripe (I think) and
> only very late redden.  When are they ready?  They are good, but
> I'm afraid I pick some too soon, and miss others that are ready to
> pick...

  I've never had a problem with my Gypsy pods taking that long to mature.  They certainly
have always ripened far earlier than the Habs., and other late varieties.  And the reward of
a fully mature, sweet, juicy Gypsy is well worth the wait, IMHO.

  The Bananas do seem to take a little longer, which always seemed strange to me given their
size and heat level.

  I have some Cow Horns beginning to ripen now.  First year I've tried them, so I'm anxious
to take a bite...

  Now the question:

  Have any of you ever tried shipping ripe pods to fellow list members (or anyone else, I
suppose) without some type of fancy packaging???  I'll be looking at more than I can use,
and more than the neighbors can use, this year.  Not a great amount, but enough to share if
a few people were interested in small amounts, and I knew they would survive the shipping.
Any experiences here???  Jeff, you want to meet me somewhere half-way, and snag a few pods
to grind up?  ;-)))

Thanks,

--
Erich
C-H # 2099 & First Lieutenant of the Moderate Corps  ...who loves to plant, weed, water, and