[CH] Re: Chipmunks

Dave Anderson (chilehead@tough-love.com)
Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:59:03 -0700

Bravo!!!

I fired my B-B gun at a rabbit to scare that sucker away and the next thing I knew he
was casters up with one of the scrub jays pecking on his cold dead paw. With the
serious coyote shortage this year, I'm thinking that more target practice is in order.
Humane traps are not in order unless you can put the trapee in a safe situation.
Otherwise, you're just dumping your garbage into someone else's yard.

Dave
TLCC
http://www.tough-love.com

> At 09:40 PM 8/6/2003 -0400, Dorothy Sheets wrote:
>
> >Anyway, I went to Home Depot, bought one of those Hav-a-hart (no
> >kill) traps. Caught 'em and relocated 'em (one at a time) to the
> >woods a few miles away. They haven't come back. Cat AND peppers are
> >both doing fine.
> >
> >Good luck with YOUR chipmunk relo program!
>

> Sorry, but those of us who live in the woods would prefer you _not_
> relocate your problem animals to our neighborhoods, for a couple of
> very valid reasons.  One is the woods are generally in a population
> balance with rodents and animals and relocating animals to a balanced
> ecosystem probably is a sentence of misery for something anyway.  It's
> not witnessed by the people who do the relocating, but that means
> nothing except like in Shakespeare, the violence is always offstage.
>
> A second reason is I personally don't want any animals moving into my
> patch of land that are already trained in the art of looting trashcans
> and chile-patches.
>
> I do occasionally trap a 'coon or 'possum just to take it back into
> the city and turn it loose in the suburbs.  More often than not
> though, it's The 12-Gauge Solution.  I've already killed our downspout
> and a garden hose this year with scattered buckshot spray.  Don't make
> me do more damage.
>

> carp

PS

I usually snip before I post, but this one is going to be taken out of context
anyways:-)