[CH] Oh crap!

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 17:42:14 -0500

Oh crap!  I forgot not to use HTML when sending to C-H.

Dave,

What's weird to me is that the USDA observations say they ripen from green to yellow and then red.   Are there any C. pubescens that go from yellow to red?  I'm growing about 25 kinds this year and haven't seen that yet.    Maybe just a tinge of yellow when the light is just right when the common red rocoto just starts to turn from the green.

It's going to be fun to replant this one(s) next year and see what I get.  Both the red and yellow/gold pods were unusual & the blossom was a little unusual too.  Only my 2nd year for C. pubs and what I think is unusual might be ho-hum stuff to the more experienced pubescens growers on this list.

It's been a fun year here in the KC desert.  One of my second year C. pubs had blossoms ranging from 4-9 petals.  I'm curious to find out whether the # of petals will have any influence on the # of ribs and/or the # of seeds.

Here are pix of one of the most successful new C. pubs this year:

Blossom, large file  http://www.fototime.com/F8AEBC59F0FBA84/orig.jpg
Blossom, smaller file   http://www.fototime.com/2F42DF5E6FF7CD1/orig.jpg

Pod, large file   http://www.fototime.com/1F1692082C8BDEF/orig.jpg
Pod, smaller file  http://www.fototime.com/EBE47AD9B0B8FDE/orig.jpg

Hot regards,
JohnT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Dave Anderson
  To: Love2Troll ; chile-heads
  Sent: Saturday, August 23, 2003 7:34 PM
  Subject: Re: [inbox] [CH] PI 590503 C. pubescens

  The leaves flowers and stems certainly indicate C. Pubscens, but the fruit shapes
  suggest that you have two different varieties. I've heard that the USDA or their
  subcontractors managed to confuse a lot of varieties. The commercial varieties that
  I've seen are more apple shaped so my guess is that yours are a little further back
  down the domestication trail.

  Dave Anderson
  TLCC
  http://www.tough-love.com