[CH] Avocado-And-Scallop Ceviche

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 20:06:33 -0700

At 06:35 PM 8/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Our plant vendor in Florida has sent our office a case of avocados.  I have
>5 big bad boys sitting in my kitchen even as we speak.  I've done the usual
>salad & guacamole...any chile related recipes you'd like to share???
>thanks in advance!

This uses black pepper and garlic, but it makes an excellent dish to go
along with hot dishes. I generally use several cloves of garlic.

Avocado-And-Scallop Ceviche

1/2 cup Fresh lime juice
3 tablespoons Peanut oil or vegetable oil
24  Green peppercorns; crushed
   Salt
   Freshly ground black pepper
3/4 pounds Sea or bay scallops finely chopped
1 large Ripe avocado; peeled
2 tablespoons Fresh chives, chopped or scallions, chopped
40 small White mushrooms
1/4 cup Vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
1 medium Garlic clove peeled and crushed
   Salt and pepper to taste
   Additional chives, optional (or scallions), for  garnish

COMBINE THE LIME JUICE, oil, peppercorns, salt and pepper
together in a glass or ceramic bowl. Stir in the scallops,
cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours while they
marinate. They should become opaque in this time. Mash the
avocado until almost smooth, then add it along with the
chives or scallions to the marinating scallops (do not drain
them) and mix well. Set aside for at least 1/2 hour,
refrigerated. About half an hour before serving the
scallops, remove the stems from the mushrooms and wipe them
to remove any dirt. Combine the vegetable oil, lemon juice,
garlic, salt and pepper in a small bowl, and brush the
insides of the mushrooms liberally with the mixture. Just
before serving, drain the caps and fill with the scallop
mixture. Garnish with additional chives, if desired.

                          		Scott Peterson

DISCLAIMER:  These are my opinions and
only my opinions, unless you share them as
well, which would make them our opinions,
but I am not of the opinion that I can express
your opinion as my opinion without your prior
expression of said opinion, and then my re-utterance
of that opinion would, in my opinion, be foolish
unless I were expressing agreement to your opinion,
and then it wouldn't be my opinion but your
opinion to which I only agree.