Re: [CH] How to make sauces less sweet

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 01 Sep 2003 16:28:33 -0700

jim@wildpepper.com wrote:
> Can't help much on the first, but I can take a stab at the second.
>
> Unless you are in a climate that features very low humidity, and somehow
> I don't think a sea-coast town like Vancouver qualifies, then you are
> going to have ill luck air-drying your chiles.  Having said that though,
> let me back up a bit & give you some circumstances under which you might
> be able to do just that.
>
> One- use very thin skinned chiles like Cayennes.
> Two- open the chiles with a knife, slitting them to help relieve
> moisture.
> Three- pick a warm place to let them sit.
> Four- place the 'opened' part of the chile against the paper towel so
> that it helps to wick moisture out of the chile.
>
> Doing this you might have some success with some chiles.  I seriously
> doubt you'd be able to jalapenos or other 'meaty' chiles this way before
> they would rot.
>
> -Jim C
> Mild to Wild(R)

Jim and all, including the guy in Vancouver...I am not that far away
from you as far as humidity is concerned, and I have never had a problem
drying thin walled peppers,eg: thai, cayennes, etc. I would dry any
thick walled ones in the oven after slitting them and Jim's suggestion
about "draining" them first is typical of his knowledge and expertise.
My thin walled chiles, I have dried on the counter(Jim, you saw some of
those)and last year I bought a cheap dehydrator, which works like a
charm, American Harvest, Wally wirld. Good luck with the thick ones, I
would freeze them! Cheers, old Doug on Vancouver Island,,,yeah...sorry,
still kickin! :-)