Re: [CH] the real Microsoft?

Scott Peterson (scottp4@mindspring.com)
Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:30:11 -0700

At 10:42 AM 9/18/2003, you wrote:
>this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003,
>Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security
>vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook
>Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to help protect
>your computer. This update includes the functionality of all previously
>released patches...."
>
>It has an executable attachment with it, but there's no Microsoft
>four-color flag with it.  What do you think?  Margaret L

Microsoft does not distribute patches via email under any
circumstances.  If there is a patch they will provide a pointer to their
web site.

What you've received is the latest in a string of emails trying to fool you
into running this and infect your system with a virus or worm.  Once you
install it, your computer will start sending out copies of the same message.

Your best protection is to run some anti-virus software on your computer
and keep the virus definitions up to date.   I recommend Norton Anti-Virus
to my clients because it's one of the best at handling e-mail, but there
are many others.

                          		Scott Peterson

     A Unix saleslady, Lenore
     enjoys work, but she likes the beach more.
     She found a good way
     to combine work and play:
     She sells C-shells by the seashore.