Re: [CH] Preservatives and sauce V8 #724

Cameron Begg (begg@ceof.ohio-state.edu)
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 10:29:52 -0400

Hi C-H's,
From: Vancouver Pepperman:

>What's a good preservative to use in hot sauces? I used salt and vinegar
>in my last batch and it went bad in less than 2 weeks. I was hoping that it
>would keep for at least a month or two in the fridge after being opened

Salt and vinegar is a good combination. You will need enough vinegar
to lower the pH to 4 or less. If you heat pasteurize (5min at 60degC
or higher) it will help the longevity of your sauce. If you want to
copy the food industry use sodium benzoate to kill the bugs and
potassium sorbate to prevent yeast spores from starting a
fermentation. Do a web search for details.
--
---
                      Regards,               Cameron.