Re: [CH] Freeezing chiles

Ted Wagner (trwagner1@yahoo.com)
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:28:47 -0800 (PST)

John,

I did an experiment last year with freezing a couple bags.  This year, I have some peppers from
Open Fields and my entire crop of Cayenne peppers....fills up about a 1/4 of the small freezer we
have.

What I did was just wash with play water, destemmed and air dried them and then put all the
peppers in the freezer "zipper" plastic bags...ok, ziplocks.  ;)

Freezing does break them down a bit.  Since my peppers are mostly thin walled, I can only relate
to mine.  Not sure about the Biker Billys.  ;)

But, my cayennes and serranos tend to be quite fragile after thawing.  I believe there was some
discussion on this list about the freezing of the water crystals in the peppers and then the cell
structure in the pods breaking down so that when they are frozen, they are quite soft.

What you may try to do, is pre-stuff all your peppers and then freeze them.  That might work.

Anyone else on the list have the experience here for John?

Ted

--- "John C. Putney" <jputney@stny.rr.com> wrote:
> I've got 1/2 bushel of Biker Billys that I want to preserve for
> stuffing.  Freeze in a vacuum bag as is, or is blanching or other
> pre-treatment required/recommended?
> John Putney

=====
Signal Corps:  -- http://www.civilwarsignal.org/
USMT -- http://www.unitedstatesmilitarytelegraph.org
Seeing isn't believing, believing is seeing...