Pickled fish (Re: [CH] sad day...)

Kristofer Blennow (kristofer@blennow.se)
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:38:49 +0100

We do pickled herring all the time here in Sweden. Basically you
start up with salted fish (for preserving):

100 grams salt
1 kg fish

or

400 grams salt
1 l water
- to cover the fish

This will keep the fish forever, mostly used for "fatty" fish like
herring, salmon, trout etc.

Then as you want to make it tasty, you can pickle it. Start out by
desalting it in water for 8-12 hours, then pickle it:

Standard pickling brine is:

0.3 l vinegar @ 6%
Onions
50 grams sugar
white pepper

Let it rest for about 24 hours.

I would try that with traditional dill, or tarragon, with chile of
course, some olive oil, garlic, black pepper...

Let me know your experiences,
Kristofer