Re: [CH] TV Hotluck Request

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:26:50 -0500

Here is the reply I sent back to Roker's production team:

This may be problematic as these events generally are planned and evolve
over a period of months, and generally are held at a listmembers home. I
got a note from Jim McGrath who has hosted a number of these events from
both the Chileheads and BBQ lists so I'm sure he discussed a lot of this
with you. I've attended 3 or 4 of Jim's Hotlucks, and he averages 50 to 80
guests in attendance. I also have attended a Hotluck in Warren NJ that was
filmed for the TV Food Network special "Eat the Heat," which was also
planned a couple months in advance.

I hope you don't mind that I forwarded a copy of your note to the
ChileHeads list, asking if there were any folks in the New Orleans area
that might be able to help you out. We are a fairly gregarious group and
can be counted on to mug at a camera when circumstance dictates it. Pics of
the last Hotluck I attended can be seen at:

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/redlion03/redlion03.html

If you are not able to get the event set up for the New Orleans gig, you
might want to consider holding on to the concept for when a regular Hotluck
is scheduled. An event that has become the largest of it's type in the US
is the Chile Pepper Festival at Bowers Pa. held the first weekend in
September. It has become hugely popular in recent years and seems the type
of event that Mr. Roker's production company seems to favor. It has been
adopted by the Chileheads as an annual Hotluck and is attended by dozens of
us. Photos of this venue can be seen at:

http://www.exit109.com/~mstevens/bowers99/

I hope this helps, I'm not sure what can be scared up in a short time. I
have no doubts that if you could fund round trip tickets for a couple dozen
ChileHeads to New Orleans, that we would be more than happy to arrange a
Hotluck of epic proportions! :-)

Hope this helps...

=Mark Stevens

PS - I'm curious, how did you ever find out about the Hotlucks?