Re: [CH] What to do with my chiles?

Doug Irvine (dougandmarie@shaw.ca)
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:17:30 -0800

Michelle DeWitt Smith wrote:
> Doug, Do you store your dried peppers in glass? I have found that little
> insect critters can bore right through ziplock bags and thrive on my dried
> peppers.
>
> Michelle in KC

No, I have a bunch of them that I use frequently, simply sitting on the
counter...even though Jim tells me that we are not ingesting enuf! :-)
Must be the different area. Here on Vancouver Island, the only critters
we are bothered with are fruit flies, and one of my dtrs sent me a
diagram of how to take care of them. Take a pint Mason jar, cut a very
small hole in one corner of a coffee filter, poke the filter into the
top of the jar, first putting a piece of fruit in the bottom, apple,
pear, banana peel, and tape the filter around the outside of the jar, so
beasties can't escape. Just wait a day or so and when the jar has a
bunch of fruit flies inside, zap the jar! Works like a charm, if you
have fruit flies in the spring, summer of fall. Try it Michelle, you may
catch whatever is eating your dried chiles. Are you sure the critters
are not coming OUT of the chiles and then eating their way out of the
baggie? Cheers, Doug in BC