Re: [CH] Tabasco Mash

Helen L. Gillis (HelenGillis@earthlink.net)
Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:51:19 -0500

Here you go, Miss Dewi!  Once you cut up the vegetables & peel the shrimp,
it cooks itself...  Helen

Crawfish Etouffee Emeril

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

 Recipe Summary
 Prep Time: 30 minutes  Cook Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
 Yield: 8 servings
6 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour (I used 6)
2 cups chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery (I used 1 cup)
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I used 1 cup red & green bell)
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 sprigs fresh thyme (I used about half teaspoon dried)
2 1/2 cups fish or shrimp stock
1 cup peeled, seeded and diced tomatoes (I used 1 14.5 oz can diced in
juice)
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (cayenne)
Hot pepper sauce (about 1 teaspoon Tabasco)
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce  (I used 1)
2 pounds crawfish tails, with the fat (I used 2 pounds shrimp-save shells
for stock)
1/2 lemon, juiced (I didn't use)
1 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
Cooked white rice, for serving

In a large, heavy saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter and whisk in
flour to combine well. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until roux is
a peanut butter color.
Add onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaves, and thyme and cook
until vegetables are soft, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add stock, tomatoes, salt,
red pepper, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce and bring to a boil.
Skim surface, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 30 minutes,
stirring occasionally.
Add crawfish tails and fat, lemon juice, green onions, and parsley and cook
for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add remaining butter and stir
to combine well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve over hot
rice.
Notes:
For the stock:  I put all the shrimp shells in a small stock pot with 1 8
ounce bottle of clam juice and 2 cups of water.  I simmered this for as long
as it took to cook the etouffee to the point of adding the stock.
I made the roux with 3 tablespoons butter and 1 tablespoon or so of olive
oil and 6 tablespoons flour.  Next time I will cook the roux until it is
darker than the peanut butter color.  I ended up adding some Gravy Master
(caramel coloring) to darken the final etouffee .
I cooked the vegetables longer, too.  I just turned them down to medium low
& put the cover on until everything was very soft.  All the gumbos and
etouffees I had in NO were all  very well cooked.  Same thing when I added
the tomatoes, etc.  Cooked it for about 45 minutes before I added the
shrimp.    Served with rice & lots of hot sauce.
Enjoy!!