Re: [CH] Chile oil

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:03:53 -0800 (PST)

I think that if you heat the mash / oil mixture up to about 225 F and hold it
there for, say, 10 minutes or so and then store the resulting product in the
refrigerator that you should be fine.  It seems to me that most problems arise
from one of three things:  (1) putting raw garlic in the oil; (2) not heating
the oil sufficiently when it is made; and (3) storing it at room temperature.

As a final note, if you make the oil in small batches such that you don't have
it sitting around for a couple of years, I think you should be fine.  Please
understand that I am not an actual food scientist, I just play one on the
Internet.

Matt

=====