Re: [CH] Grow lights

Bob Shuman (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 20:03:00 -0500

Dan Gillis wrote:

> It's getting to be that time of year again, and I was wondering if anyone
> had any thoughts on grow lights. <snip>

We start about 1000 pepper plants, about 250 tomato plants and an
assortment of others (no, not recreational plants) in our basement.  The
fancy grow lights cost quite a bit to buy and use quite a bit of juice.
  We have had good luck with the cheap 2 tube flourescent shop lights
you find at home centers for about $7.  I install one cool white tube
and one warm white tube (sometimes marketed as a kitchen or bathroom
tube) in each fixture.

I keep them about 2" above the leaves for 16 hours a day.  I also keep
an oscillating fan on them 16 hours a day to develope thick, strong
stems.  I think it speeds up the harding-off process, and lessons our
fungus problems, too.  I find that too warm nighttime tempuratures make
for spindly stems, so I drop the nightime temperature in the house to 60
degrees F.

We've done this for several years, and never fail to get nice bedding
plants this way.

Just my 2 cents....

Hobby Farmer