Re: [CH] Grow lights

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 06:24:09 -0800 (PST)

I just use a set up that consists of the cheapest fixtures and cheapest bulbs
that I can find at Home Depot.  My experience has been that the seedlings are
more sensitive to the proximity of the light than they are to the type of bulb.
 The light needs to be extremely close to the seedlings.  I think that the type
of light isn't very important because you are not attempting to bring the
plants through their entire life cycle with artificial light.

I keep lids on my seed trays with the light nearly touching the lid until about
75% of my seeds have germinated, then I remove the lids.  This, I think, helps
keep the seedlings warm in my basement and provides them with sufficient light.
 Finally, contrary to conventional wisdom, I hardly ever turn the lights off --
maybe just a few hours every two or three days.

The first year that I started my own seeds, I loosely followed a guide posted
on the FireGirl web site (www.firegirl.com) and I have evolved into my current
somewhat unorthodox style.  I don't think I am doing it the way the pros do,
but I typically get about 95% germination and nearly 100% survival across as
many as 60 varieties.

Matt

=====