Re: [CH] Composting

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:53:49 -0500

T. Matthew Evans wrote:

> I'm not sure that composting is an exact science -- i.e., I don't know that
> exact proportions are fundamental to the success of your pile.

I like to use exact measurements....  Exactly as many tractor loader
buckets of barn floor goodies as it took to clean the barn, exactly
as much spoiled asparagus or green beans or squash as I can get from
the processing plant, exactly as much apple squeezing pulp as I can
get from the cider plant, exactly as much crud as the chickens leave
on the floor of the coop and exactly as much spoiled hay, weeds and
any other organic goodies I can find.  And I've never had a bad
batch yet!

> I have a pile
> in my back yard (four wooden pallets lined with geotextile and connected with
> nylon ties) that takes my vegetable scraps and leaves.  I turn it from time to
> time (every few months) and it seems to work great.

I like the geo-textile idea.  I'm going to try it on our kitchen
scraps compost pile up by the house.

Hobby Farmer