Re: [CH] Composting

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:31:08 -0800 (PST)

I'm not sure that composting is an exact science -- i.e., I don't know that
exact proportions are fundamental to the success of your pile.  I have a pile
in my back yard (four wooden pallets lined with geotextile and connected with
nylon ties) that takes my vegetable scraps and leaves.  I turn it from time to
time (every few months) and it seems to work great.  About once a year, I pull
out a couple of wheelbarrow loads of very, very nice looking compost.

That said, it is possible that my pile does not get hot enough to kill weed
seeds, although I haven't noticed a problem.  Please remember, I'm not really a
biological processes chemist, I just play one on the Internet.

Matt

=====