Re: [CH] Contradictions

Stallcup, Michael (Michael.Stallcup@nasa.gov)
Thu, 19 Feb 2004 12:08:34 -0600

On 16 Feb 2004, Walt wrote:

>Babs main concern was for the heavy plastic gloves I had used for
>the de-seeding operation. I reasured her that the CH's had affirmed
>the efficay of dilute bleach for removing the accumulation of Chile
>Oil. Ah, but when this old lad gave them a thorough scouring in the
>dilute bleach, he was horrified to find that they still had a heavy
>coating of Chile Oil. A repeat showed that the dilute bleach was not
>doing what we had been told it would. Hmm!

I have always used isopropyl alcohol (isopropanol, "rubbing alcohol")
straight from the bottle to wash my hands after working with chiles.
I follow this with soap and water to remove the alcohol smell.  I've
never had a problem with "Hunan-anything" afterwards.

Needless to say, this is not drinking alcohol (ethyl alcohol) which
some people like to use to "wash away" the chile oils from the mouth.

Watching the weather starting to warm up and looking at seed catalogs...

--
Mike  (C-H #36, hab seed intact)
Carpe Capsicum!