Re: [CH] Using a food mill

Hobby Farmer (hobbyfarmer@t-one.net)
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:07:15 -0500

Perry C. Abernethy wrote:
> My experience is that only Emeril Lagassie is successful using the
> mechanical food mills on TV. Its like the put together toys-nothing ever
> fits or works. Perry

Our old Victorio (same as a couple of other brands - somebody must
have forgot to renew the patent) has chugged out hundreds of quarts
of seedless, skinless tomato juice, vegetable juice and tomato soup.
  To make tomato sauce and tomato paste it has done truckloads of
tomatoes over the years.  It stomps grapes for wine.  Fruits for
jams and jellies are de-seeded and de-skinned.  It has never missed
a beat.  It leaks a little around the shaft now, from wear, but we
just put a bowl under it to catch the dribbles.

But now the important item - peppers!  Just freeze or roast them
first to soften them a little.  From there it is easy to make pepper
jellies, sauces, salsas and bags of pepper mash to freeze.  A couple
of gallons of seed and skin free mash takes about ten minutes.

Hobby Farmer