Re: [CH] burritos

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Tue, 2 Mar 2004 13:18:59 -0800 (PST)

ChileBuzz --

This recipe has been modified only slightly from the one I pulled out of "The
Great Chile Book" by Mark Miller many, many years ago.  I've included
proportions for chipotles, but other smoked chiles will work -- substitute an
equal amount of other chiles by weight (or by volume), but not by number.

Chipotles en Adobo

40 chipotles
1 large yellow onion, sliced
1 head garlic, peeled and sliced
1.25 cups cider vinegar
1 cup ketchup
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. smoked habanero powder
0.5 tsp. ground cumin
3 quarts water

Combine everything and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hours.  You should have 4 to 5 cups
of liquid remaining and the chiles will be very soft.  If you use table salt
rather than kosher salt, cut the amount in half.  Also, if you want chipotle
puree, just put a couple of scoops in the blender -- onions, garlic, seeds, and
all.  This stuff keeps in the refrigerator for a few months.  I've never tried
to can it.

Matt

=====