Re: [CH] Blue Garlic and ISO Uncle Dirty Dave

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:10:03 -0600

Matt,

I really wonder why your garlic turns blue?  Ever since I bought "The Joy of Pickling" about 5 years ago I've refrigerator pickled just about everything imaginable.  And I want some of that blue garlic.  LOL

There are about 4-5 recipes for pickled garlic in the book & none of them mention garlic turning blue.  If anyone wants I'll post the recipes.

Only thing I can think of is iodized salt or maybe cider vinegar.  Do you refrigerate?  3 of the recipes say to refrigerate & the 4th says to store in a cool, dark place.

I've had trouble with onion rings turning dark and pepper slices getting soft.  Since I started liming everything first I've not had that problem.

My basic refrigerator pickle method is very simple:

Equal parts sugar and white vinegar
Pickling spice  (I like Tones)

Heat the vinegar just enough to dissolve the sugar.  Let the mixture cool.  Pour over whatever you are pickling & refrigerate.  I do slice everything including the garlic.  No salt at all in my mix.

JohnT