Re: [CH] Cabbage as pH indicator.

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 17:14:14 -0600

Really cool!

Cameron, have you ever visited this website? http://www.sciplus.com/   I got their April catalog in the mail today.  Edmond Scientific is another good site.  My kids and now my grandkids always know they will get something scientific and/or books for their bdays etc.

Thanks for sharing that interesting bit of knowledge.

JohnT

----- Original Message -----
From: Cameron Begg
To: chile-heads@globalgarden.com
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 9:54 AM
Subject: [CH] Cabbage as pH indicator.

Hi C-H's,

I was trying to find a suitable book of chemistry experiments for Gavin's birthday and came across instructions for making an indicator solution out of red cabbage. Basically whizz the cabbage up in cold water (could use distilled if your tap water is not close to pH 7) and use the liquid which separates at the top for checking your bottled sauces. It's not accurate, but if your sauce turns the extract red you'll be safe. Hey - use red cabbage as an ingredient!

approximate pH:        color of extract:
2                                        red
4                                     purple
6                                      violet
8                                       blue
10                                blue-green
12                                    green

--
---
                     Regards,               Cameron.