Re: [CH] Cardboard Box heater for seed Germination

Tony Flynn (tonyflynn@value.net.nz)
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 05:55:00 +1300

Hi All,

Just thought that having not posted for a while I would let you all know
that I am still feeling well and healthily.
After a lousy wet cold February the weather has at last improved and it is
more like March should be.Sunny nice days and cooler nights.
Chiles in the garden looking good and starting to pick Red Habenero, Rocoto
covered with fruit. and the seeds of Bishops Hat from Steve in Tauranga
doing exceptionally well almost 1 metre high and covered in fruit,
On the topic of seed raising. I use and old polystyrene Chilly Bin. (Esky in
OZ Cooler ? in USA) or you could stick slabs of polystyrene on the inside of
your cardboard box. This seems to be available from almost any electric
equipment. On thinking a computer monitor carton  has the polystyrene in
already.   I mount a 15 watt oven light bulb inside. This seems to keep a
good 85° F temperature and germinates most seeds fairly quickly.
Off up the coast for a few days fishing while the weather holds and the sea
is still warm (Almost:-)

Cheers to all

Tony Flynn
Grandad. Retired at the beach. Bay of Plenty. New Zealand