Re: [CH] I won a chilli cookoff

H. Alan Kantrud (prairiehabanero@usjet.net)
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:57:00 -0600

<delurk>

oh bravo!  i just had to shake the drool off my keyboard to type
this...congrats!

<lurk>

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott" <rooftopvoter@excite.com>
To: <chile-heads@globalgarden.com>
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2004 5:26 PM
Subject: [CH] I won a chilli cookoff

> It was a few weeks back, and it was only the people at work, but I won for
"Hottest" category.

> I had entered a green chile chilli a few years back that the judges didn't
like (but the crowd devoured), and a plain old chilli won.  This year I took
no chances... or prisoners.  Three days later people were still taking my
name in vain.  The usual macho guys were in line talking about how "nothin's
too hot for me" and loading up on my stuff.  More than one paid the price
and was heard to say "I had to
> eat all I took after shooting my mouth off...".
>
> I took pride in the fact that I used NO commercial sauces, NO extracts,
only chiles I had grown and/or picked myself.  All I put in the one gallon
pot of generic beanless chilli was:

> 14 frozen Red Savinas (from Open Fields)
> 3 Tbsp Yatsafusa powder
> 3 Tbsp Purira powder (from Open Fields)
> 3 Tbsp Cayenne powder
> 1 Tbsp Apple Smoked Habanero powder
> 2 Tbsp Aji Amarillo powder
> 1 Tbsp Red Jalapeno powder
> 3 Tbsp of my Yellow Scotch Bonnet sauce (from Open Fields)
> 2 Tbsp Kaloska Paprika powder
> 1 Tbsp Peter Pepper powder (from Open Fields)
> 1 Tbsp Guajillo powder
> 2 Tsp  Red Savina Powder (from Open Fields)
>
> I cooked it the night before the contest.  It seemed a little mild the
next day so about 90 minutes before the tasting I re-seasoned it with 1/4
cup of a mixture of the powders listed above.  I succeeded in
> producing a total mouth/throat burn that worked its magic on many levels.
Cayenne/Jalapeno hit first, as it faded the purira and yatsafusa built up,
then the relentless Red Savina.