Re: [CH] Better late than never...

=Mark (mstevens@exit109.com)
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 11:14:25 -0500

At 08:19 PM 3/19/2004 -0500, ChileBuzz wrote:
>One of my favorite ways to use chipotles en adobo is to puree a pepper or two
>with a little of the sauce, and add it generously to chicken noodle
>soup.  Ahhh,
>it's a lovely, lovely thing.

Which brings us to:

Chipotle Chicken & Veggie Soup

Got the idea for this after sampling a couple bowls of a regional style
soup during a trip to the Fiery Foods Festival in New Mexico, just
substituted Chipotles for the green chiles:

1 6 lb. roasting chicken
1 32 oz can chicken stock
1 cup coarsley chopped celery (Save all veggie trimmings for stock)
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup sliced carrots
2 medium onions coarsely chopped
1 cup corn kernels
1 16 oz can diced tomato
1 cup chipotles in adobo sauce
1/2 tsp thyme
cracked black pepper to taste
salt to taste (I use heavy chinese soy sauce)

Roast chicken in oven till done, cool overnight.

Debone chicken and save all the bones & scraps. Cut meat into bite size
bits removing fat & gristle. Refrigerate.
In a large stock pot add bones and carcass as well as veggie peelings,
carrot butts and onion skins etc and cover with cold water. Bring to a
boil, then simmer for 2 to 3 hours, skimming and stirring occasionally.

Strain through a collander and add stock back to pot. Add celery, bell
pepper, corn, onions and carrots as well as the canned stock and bring to a
simmer. Cook until veggies begin to turn tender. Add chicken and canned
tomato.

While soup is coming back to a simmer, take about a cup of it and put in a
food processor with the chipotles & adobo. Whirr it up for about 30 seconds
or untill the peppers are well pureed.

  Add salt, pepper and thyme to the soup, then start adding the chipotle
puree about a quarter cup at a time, stirring and tasting for the desired
pungency. Using all of it makes for a chileheads delite, but may be too
much for some gringos to handle!

This makes a big old pot full which would probably serve 15 or 20 people.
Good for freezing and serving at a later time.
You could use all canned stock and one of those rotisserie chickens from
the store, but my life is dull and I got nothin' better to do...

=Mark