Re: [CH] news item: El Paso Pepper Producer

Stallcup, Michael (Michael.Stallcup@nasa.gov)
Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:26:42 -0500

Peter G. wrote:

>here's an interesting news item ran across while searching for things
>fungal .
>
>     Red-Hot Ideas: El Paso Pepper Producer
>http://www.newspapertree.com/newsletter.ssd?section=feature&c=712434d153474098
>
>any chemists out there who can explain whatever they're calling
>"peroxide acid" might be? any contraindications?
>
>regards
>peter g

While looking into solutions to clean my deck I came across a
discussion of sodium percarbonate, sometimes known as "oxygen
bleach."  The Web page says it produces hydrogen peroxide when mixed
with water and it's good for cleaning fruits and vegetables. This is
the active ingredient in those "Oxy-something" cleansers.

http://alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/oxybleach.html:

"Sodium percarbonate is an excellent detergent and bleaching agent
based on hydrogen peroxide. It is a good cleaning and bleaching agent
at normal temperature, and has strong fungicide effect. Fruits and
vegetables treated with sodium percarbonate can be kept fresh, and be
stored for a long time. In medicine, it can kill staphy lococcus, and
colon bacillus .

This product is a white particle powder, non-toxic no contamination,
non-flammable, non-explosive, easy to get damp, and soluble in water.

Oxygen bleach is excellent for cleaning and removing organic stains
(such as coffee, tea, wine, fruit juices, foods, sauces, grass and
blood) from fabrics, plastics, fiberglass, porcelain, ceramics, wood,
carpets, asphalt, concrete, etc. Oxygen bleach  can be used in any
place in or around the house that need to be destained and
deodorized;  it is efficient, safe and economical. It is non-toxic,
environmentally safe, biodegradable, and leaves no harmful
by-products or residues which can harm the environment."

Maybe this is what the El Paso pepper producer is calling "peroxide
acid?"  Just a thought.

--
Mike  (C-H #36, hab seed intact)
Carpe Capsicum!