Re: [CH] Best Vinegar for Hot Sauces...

Will McCown (will@ross-mccown.com)
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 18:28:24 -0700

T. Matthew Evans wrote:

> John --
>
> I think that the pressure canning only applies for chile solutions of pH above
> 4.6, right?  I water-bath can chiles every year -- it's my primary method of
> preservation.  Granted, my typical batch is nothing more than minced chiles,
> white vinegar, and kosher salt, so the jars would probably be fine without any
> processing whatsoever -- but, I like the flavor better after they are
> processed.

That's basically right.  I think the issue may be that whole chiles,
even if in a brine with pH < 4.6 may be well above that threshold
in the middle of the fruit and thus allow the dreaded botulism to
grow despite the surrounding solution.

My own hot-sauce I test with pH test strips to insure it's less than
about 4.3 (usually it's about 4.0) and I figure that since the chiles
have been totally liquified in the process of making the sauce this
should be safe for simple water bath canning.

I also bring the sauce to an almost-boil before filling the jars --
that helps insure that the jars seal as well as be sure that the
whole contents got to at least 200F or so.

> In general, I process this chile-vinegar mix for 10 minutes for pints and 20
> minutes for quarts.  With tomatoes in a water bath, I use 35 minutes for pints
> and 45 minutes for quarts.

All the guide books indicate that tomatoes can be marginal in their
acidity, but with the addition of vinegar or lemon juice should be
safe.  I would think that testing would be in order here as well.
I don't know of any rational reasoning for a longer processing
time with tomatoes vs peppers -- assuming you fill with hot
ingredients.

--
Will McCown, South Pasadena, CA
will@ross-mccown.com