Re: [CH] Best Vinegar for Hot Sauces...

T. Matthew Evans (tmattevans@yahoo.com)
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:50:14 -0700 (PDT)

John --

I think that the pressure canning only applies for chile solutions of pH above
4.6, right?  I water-bath can chiles every year -- it's my primary method of
preservation.  Granted, my typical batch is nothing more than minced chiles,
white vinegar, and kosher salt, so the jars would probably be fine without any
processing whatsoever -- but, I like the flavor better after they are
processed.

In general, I process this chile-vinegar mix for 10 minutes for pints and 20
minutes for quarts.  With tomatoes in a water bath, I use 35 minutes for pints
and 45 minutes for quarts.

I'm not an actual Agricultural Extension Service Food Safety Outreach Program
Head Scientist, I just play one on the Internet.

Matt

=====