Re: [CH] Bitten Plants

Love2Troll (Love2Troll@kc.rr.com)
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 08:01:32 -0500

SandyO,

Rabbits will sample just about anything that grows, but they have preferences.  Peas, beans, dandelions, clover etc are much higher on their list than peppers.  There are rabbits aplenty in my garden in the woods and I've never lost a pepper plant to them.  If they are feeding in a row of plants they usually leave their distinctive droppings.  Most often they make a 45° diagonal sharp cut through the stem.  A deer will just rip the stem off & leave a jagged edge.  Do you have woodchucks?

I can put up pictures of my homemade rabbit trap if anyone wishes.

JohnT
----- Original Message -----
From: Sandy Olson
To: ChileHeads
Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:55 PM
Subject: [CH] Bitten Plants

Okay, what critter just bites the tops off the pepper plants, leaving a bit
of the stem?  I don't have a neurotic cat, pepper-eating dog or  dizzy
gerbil but there are lots of bunnies running around the neighborhood
(because the neighbors don't have cats or dogs either).  Are rabbits gnawing
my little peppers?  All these flat-topped little stems are just standing
there with some leaves still near the bottom.

SandyO